Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Regarding Coffee

This morning my first sip of coffee was especially satisfying.  I'm not sure why.  It did, however, give me an idea for this sharing.  Nancy has been on my back to write again.
I grew up in a coffee-drinking family, but did not begin my personal journey until my sophomore year in college.  I think I believed I would automatically be more grown up if I were a coffee drinker.  The first attempts were rocky.  The coffee was dispensed from a five gallon vat in the cafeteria.  I found that I needed to add a half cup of hot water to make it pallatable.  I persisted and proudly went home at Christmas and requested coffee.  No one commented on my maturity.
I developed a habit that was not interuppted by pregnancy.  We didn't see a problem in those days.  I was grateful for my children and sacrificed for them in many ways, but giving up coffee was not one of them.  They both managed to graduate from college in spite of that caffene poisioning.
I did have to admit that caffene is an addiction on our camping trip to Yellowstone.  I had such a headache the morning we had no coffee that I made the family drive many miles to purchase our replacement camping coffee pot.  We never left home without it again.
For some reason I took to adding cream to my coffee a number of years ago.  I really enjoyed the little tubs delivered to my table by helpful waitresses.  I made sure we had half and half at home.  It was fun to try different flavors.  All of this came to a screaming halt when my doctor demanded that I loose weight this January.  It is amazing what can be sacrificed when necessary.
I am not a coffee snob and I can prove it.  This morning a child approached me on the playground proudly sharing his "seed".  I recognized it as a dirt clod.  I was appropriately interested but not thrilled when he decided to drop it in my coffee sitting on the bench.  I drank it anyway.  Some of you may remember the phrase, "good to the last drop".  Indeed.

1 comment:

  1. What?! I drink coffee through a straw, and would put it directly into an IV port, if possible, but actual dirt and gravel is where I draw the line.

    Too funny.

    ReplyDelete